The Smart Driving Licence was introduced in Kenya by the National Transport and Safety Authority (NTSA) in 2018 and comes with a chip that contain a drivers details like accident caused, years of driving and vehicle driven (classes).
Before proceeding to the NTSA online portal popularly known as Transport Information Management System (TIMS), you will be required to have your ID number, phone number, KRA PIN and at least Ksh3100 in your M-Pesa.
Here are the steps:-
- Open the NTSA web portal using this link https://tims.ntsa.go.ke/login_csp.jsp.
- Click on Register an account to input your details and follow the process to complete registration.
- Make sure you click on Subscribe SMS at the top right-hand side of your screen to receive a security code and other notifications involved in the transfer of motor vehicle process.
- After you have registered, use the link provided above to see the login interface.
- Pay Ksh3,050 for the licence then select an appointment centre along with the date and time. Available slots will be in white while those in red are already booked. Complete your reservation and print the appointment slip.
On a reserved day, visit the NTSA office chosen and verify your details on TIMS with an NTSA officer. A passport photo, signature, and fingerprints will be recorded.
Once the smart card driving licence is ready, you will be alerted to go and collect it. This takes around 21 days. Note that you are the only person who can collect the card, and it cannot be collected by a third party.