Government Blames Rogue Politicians for Chaos During Fuel Price Protests
Interior Cabinet Secretary Kipchumba Murkomen
The government has accused unnamed politicians of sponsoring violence, looting and destruction during Monday’s nationwide protests over rising fuel prices, even as authorities confirmed four people died and more than 30 others were injured in the unrest.
In a strongly worded statement issued Monday evening, Interior Cabinet Secretary Kipchumba Murkomen said demonstrations that began as protests against high fuel prices had been “hijacked by political actors for political ends.”
Murkomen acknowledged growing public frustration over the rising cost of fuel, linking the increase to the ongoing global geopolitical crisis affecting oil supply chains, but insisted that violence and vandalism would not resolve the economic challenges facing the country.
“Whereas we take cognizance of the fact that fuel prices have risen significantly as a result of the ongoing global political crisis, looting, violence, blocking roads, and vandalizing public and private property can in no way bring down the prices,” said Murkomen.
The protests disrupted transport operations and business activities in several towns, with sections of major roads reportedly blocked for hours as demonstrators clashed with police and engaged in running battles in some areas.
Murkomen claimed criminal gangs had been mobilised to target government projects, businesses and leaders associated with the Kenya Kwanza administration.
Among the incidents highlighted by the Interior Ministry was the alleged looting of Khetia supermarkets linked to a pro-government Member of Parliament, the burning of a United Democratic Alliance (UDA) office in Wote, Makueni County, and the torching of two trucks at the site of the Rironi–Mau Summit road project.
The CS described the attacks as “a calculated move to spread fear and intimidate government supporters.”
Murkomen also linked the unrest to what he described as growing political intolerance, citing the recent attack on Rachel Wandeto, who died Monday morning after suffering severe burns in an earlier incident that sparked national outrage.
“Coupled with the recent violent attack on Ms Rachel Wandeto, who passed on this morning, we are witnessing a clear scheme where a section of the political class is making incendiary statements to fan intolerance and ethnic bigotry,” the statement said.
The government warned that organisers of the violence and political leaders accused of making inflammatory statements would be held accountable.
“To the leaders who have been profiling Kenyans of different political opinion and calling them traitors we shall hold you personally responsible for the lives lost and property destroyed as result of your statements,” Murkomen said.
He further said security agencies had been directed to intensify operations against organised criminal groups and their alleged sponsors.
“We will intensify our fight against organized crime and its sponsors who are hellbent on propagating anarchy,” he said.
The Interior CS said all blocked roads were being cleared to restore movement and assured travellers of their safety.
The protests erupted amid mounting public anger over the sharp increase in fuel prices, which the government attributes largely to disruptions in global oil supply caused by escalating tensions in the Middle East, including the closure of the Strait of Hormuz.
Treasury Cabinet Secretary John Mbadi earlier warned that without state intervention through the Fuel Stabilisation Fund, petrol prices could have exceeded KSh300 per litre, while diesel would currently retail above KSh270 per litre.
The fuel crisis has already triggered widespread economic anxiety, with matatu operators threatening further industrial action over rising operating costs and businesses warning of inflationary pressure across key sectors of the economy.
